Dave Conley, full time guide and outfitter, offers guided moose hunts in Maine’s Wildlife Management Districts (WMD) 1,2, 4, 5 . These WMDs have the largest population of moose in Maine. The September and October moose hunting seasons coincide with the rut, September being peak rut. Much like turkey and elk, moose can be very susceptible to calling. What a thrill to interact with a trophy bull moose as it responds to the call.
- Lottery Winners $5995 (sold out)
- Lodge Tag Hunts (sold out), no draw necessary $18,000 which includes the permit. Accepting $1000 deposits for the 2023 hunts pending the draw in January, 2023.
We offer outfitted and guided hunts in WMD 1 from comfortable remote drive to wall tent camps and have been doing this for many years with great success. If your permit is in a different WMD and you desire to hunt with us, we can assist you with swapping your permit, it’s easy to do. References-hunter’s names and and contact info from the 2021 season available upon request. for more info. (Dave 207-551-8729 call/text).
Cost for lottery hunts for the 2022 season: $5995.00, this is a great value on a big game hunt and includes:
- Comfortable remote wall tent hunt.
- Hunter and sub-permittee (2 hunters, one moose)
- Meals, one on one guide and accommodations
- Transportation while on your hunt
- Quartering and retrieval of moose
- Caping of your moose for a European or shoulder mount
- Avoid parades of trucks at the NMWs gates getting to and from your hunting grounds
Note: We are fully insured and licensed with the North Maine Woods to conduct guiding activities in the North Maine Woods.
Additional Costs for Lottery Winners
- Hunting License & Moose permit
- Extra persons (apart from you and your sub-permittee) is $700.00 per person for meals & accommodations.
- Private Land Access day use and camping fees collected at the gate as you enter the North Maine Woods.
- Transportation, you can drive right to camp. For those that are flying into Presque isle, we recommend staying overnight at the Hampton Inn before and after your hunt. You can rent a vehicle and the ride to camp is over mostly good dirt roads. Another option is for one of our guides to come and pick you up, $250 per round trip.
- Having you moose butchered locally? We have a couple of options with meat cutters that do a great job cutting and packaging meat. Turnaround time is 48-72 hours. They charge approximately $450 -$550 to cut and package a moose. Add an extra $30-$50 for pork product added to sausage and burger.
- If you choose to head home with your meat verses having it cut up locally, we can debone and load your meat into coolers for $200, ice provided free of charge.
- Gratuities for the camp cooks and guide at hunter’s discretion
For several years we’ve been teaming up with Andrew Gibbs of Marsh River Outfitters to provide you with the highest quality hunt. Andrew is a very passionate, experienced and knowledgeable moose hunting guide! Check out the video of his successful bow kill below!
Brady Bartlett’s 2021 October Bull Moose!
Below is Brady’s 2021 bull. Locating this bull and going in after it resulted in success for this hunter. It was harvested were it was bedded down. It refused to come to the call and road hunting would not have produced this bull!
“My father in law and I had the best week that was full of memorable encounters. Our patience and Andrew’s hard work paid off with a monster bull on Friday. I couldn’t have asked for a better guiding experience. Everyone involved worked extremely hard to make sure every aspect was taken care of. Personally I was very impressed with how the guides tailored each hunter’s experience on how the hunter wanted the week to go. If I’m ever blessed with another moose hunt I will go through them without any hesitation”. Brady Bartlett
Considerations for hiring a guide
“Hunters lucky enough to participate in Maine’s moose hunt should consider best hunting methods when moose are more likely to stay put, increasing their chances of success in future years”. See full story here from: 2021 Moose Report MDIFW
Didn’t Draw a Permit and Still Want to Hunt Moose this Fall?
(6-30-22) We have ONE bull moose, peak rut hunts available for immediate purchase in WMD 1, during the Sept. 26-Oct. 1 season. Expect opportunities on bulls 40″-50″ with some bulls going over 50″. We have a high success rate on guided bull moose hunts going 12 for 14 over the past 2 seasons. 13 out of 14 hunts took place in WMD 1, we know the unit well.
Cost for these very limited lodge tag hunts are $16,500 NOTE many of these advertised hunts are going for $20,000, and higher, some much higher! Additional costs include big game license, cost of the permit ($1500) and having your moose butchered (approx. $500) or we can debone and load into your coolers on ice at no extra charge. This is a good value on these very limited lodge tag hunts! Contact Dave Conley for more information and to secure this hunt! call/text 207-551-8729 or email: email@example.com
Below is another 2021 bull, this one harvested by Eric
Eric Meckler 2021 Testimonial! “Amazing, Unforgettable are some words to describe this trip and they overdelivered on all aspects of the hunt! The accommodations in the middle of the North Woods were extremely comfortable and clean, food was amazing, and the hunt was even better. I never would have imagined 3 Bull Moose day 1, all within shooting distance and I took a 47-inch Bull at 15 yards!”
More Info on Maine’s Moose hunt at Maine.gov
Check out one of our Moose Hunting Videos Below
We’re Passionate About Moose Hunting!
Check out Dave and Eric’s 2020 moose hunt in remote Alaska!
Hunt from Comfortable Remote Moose Hunting Camps
While many hunters drive more than an hour one way each day just to get to their hunting grounds, our camps are located in the heart of prime moose hunting country well away from any towns. Camps include top-notch accommodations, the main shelter serves as a community area for meals. Private sleep tents for your party of 1-3 persons are spacious 12′ x 12′ Cabela’s Alaknak Ultimate Outfitter tents complete with cots, carpet flooring and a wood stove.
Maine has one of the highest, if not the highest success rate for a big game hunt anywhere! Nonresidents typically enjoy an even higher success rate over residents attributed to the fact most hire the services of a Maine guide. During the 2021 season we went 6 for 8 with four bulls having racks widths in the upper 40s and one going 54″, two were in the 30s.
What to Expect
In the 40 year history of the Maine moose hunt, early on when clear cuts were much more prevalent, it was much easier to ride the roads and spot a moose. While some moose are still harvested this way and many do ride the roads hoping to bump into one. With the change in cutting practices (fewer clear cuts) and bigger bulls being over called and adapting for survival’s sake, tend to shy away from these areas and hang further back. Our preferred method is calling and spot n stalk which makes for a much better experience. Our guides know how to read sign, locate and call bulls. With the ability to quarter and pack out, we’re able to get on foot placing you in Maine’s best moose country. Expect opportunities to harvest a bull with rack widths 40″s-50″s, with bulls going 55″ and wider are possible. We encourage hunters to pass on smaller bulls waiting for an opportunity on a bigger bull. When driving to camp and bringing several large coolers, it makes it very easy to go home with all your meat. Why not visit Trip Advisor and read what past canoe guests and moose hunters have to say about their experience with Dave Conley and Canoe the Wild.
For those with physical limitations, we hunt close to dirt roads or shorten the distance we travel on foot. We’ll adapt your hunt based on your physical abilities and desires.
2022 Maine Moose Hunting Seasons
- September 26- October 1
- October 10-15
- Cow only season Oct 24-29