Dave Conley, full time guide and outfitter, offers guided moose hunts in Maine’s Wildlife Management Districts (WMD) 1,2, 4 & 5. These WMDs have the largest population of moose in Maine. The September and October moose hunting seasons coincide with the rut, September being peak rut. Much like turkey and elk, moose can be very susceptible to calling. What a thrill to interact with a trophy bull moose as it responds to the call.
Maine has one of the highest, if not the highest success rate for a big game hunt anywhere! Nonresidents typically enjoy an even higher success rate over residents attributed to the fact most hire the services of a Maine guide. Dave has personally guided over 30 moose hunts with a 97% success rate. In fact, the only time we did not harvest a bull was on a last minute one day hire.
Prime Rut Hunt Available for Immediate Purchase!
A new law recently passed by the Maine legislature allocates 50 moose permits to Maine sporting camps through a special lottery. We are working for a sporting camp that has a bull permit in Wildlife Management District 1 during the September season which is peak rut. In 2018, WMD 1 had the highest success rate of all the WMDs at 87% success rate on bulls! See report here.
Hunting package is $15,000.00 and includes:
- 2 shooters, one moose (permittee and sub-permittee)
- 6-day hunt
- Private land owner access fees into the North Maine Woods
- One on one guide
- Transportation while on your hunt
- Quartering & removing your moose from the woods
- Caping your moose for a shoulder or European mount
- Game bags
Additional costs include:
- Moose Permit ($1500.00)
- Big game hunting license $115.00
- For those that are flying to Maine verses driving, we recommend flying in and out of Presque Isle and staying overnight on both ends of your hunt at the Hampton Inn, transportation to and from camp is $200 each way (3 hour drive over tar and mostly good dirt roads)
- If you choose to use a local butcher to cut and package your meat, $500.00
- Gratuity at hunter’s discretion
What to Expect
This is NOT A ROAD HUNT and we do not use electronic calls. Our guides know how to read sign, locate and call moose. With the ability to quarter and pack out moose, we’re able to get on foot to spot n stalk, placing you in Maine’s best moose country. Expect opportunities to harvest a bull with rack widths middle 40″s to middle 50″s, bulls with wider racks are possible. We encourage hunters to pass on smaller bulls waiting for an opportunity on a bigger bull. Why not visit Trip Advisor and read what past canoe guests and moose hunters have to say about their experience with Dave Conley and Canoe the Wild.
Hunt from Remote Moose Hunting Camps
While many hunters drive more then an hour one way each day just to get to their hunting grounds, our camps are located in the heart of prime moose hunting country well away from any towns. Camps include top-notch accommodations, the main shelter serves as a community area for meals. Private sleep tents for your party of 1-3 persons are spacious 12′ x 12′ Cabela’s Alaknak Ultimate Outfitter tents complete with cots, carpet flooring and a wood stove.
A Look Back at Our September 2018 Hunt
it’s 24 degrees in WMD 1 and bulls are not coming to the cow call so we change tactics on a distant grunting bull. After a quarter mile spot n stalk and challenging this 11.5 year old bull, he came in like a freight train! What a thrill as Adam harvested this bull at under 25 Yards (more).
For those with physical limitations, we hunt close to dirt roads or shorten the distance we travel on foot. We’ll adapt your hunt based on your physical abilities and desires.
2019 Maine Moose Hunting Seasons
- September 23-28
- October 7-12
The 2019 Maine Moose Lottery
If you desire to hunt with us, you must first obtain a permit. The most common way is through a lottery system. When filling out your moose lottery application, please choose WMD 1,2,4,5,3,6 & 11 in that order. Choose September and October seasons, bull only if you do not want to hunt an antler-less moose. If you desire to bow hunt for a bull moose, choose only the September season as it is the best season for calling a moose in close. Deadline for applying is May 15, 2019 with the drawing taking place the 2nd Saturday of June. (more info)
2019 Moose Hunting Rates for Lottery Winners
$4995.00, this is a great value on a big game hunt and includes:
- Hunter and sub-permittee (2 hunters, one moose)
- Private outfitter tent
- Transportation while on your hunt
- Quartering and retrieval of moose
- Caping of your moose for a European or shoulder mount.
Note: We are fully insured and licensed with the North Maine Woods to conduct guiding activities in the North Maine Woods.
- Hunting License & Moose permit, non-resident big game license $115.00, moose permit $585.00, Maine residence license $26.00, moose permit $52.00.
- Extra persons (apart from you and your sub-permittee) is $700.00 per person for meals & accommodations.
- Private Land Access Fees collected at the gate as you enter the North Maine Woods. Nonresidents $30.00 per day, $22.00 per day for Maine residents. Ages 17 and under are free. Nonresidents ages 70 and older $15.00 per day, Maine residents ages 70 and older $12.00 per day.
- Transportation, you can drive right to camp. For those that are flying into Presque isle, we recommend staying overnight at the Hampton Inn before and after your hunt. The ride to camp is $200.00 each way (three hours each way over tar and mostly good dirt roads).
- Having you moose butchered locally? We have a local guy that does a great job cutting and packaging meat. Turnaround time is 48-72 hours. He charges $500 to cut up a moose.
- Gratuities at hunter’s discretion
To secure your lottery Moose hunt, once you have secured your permit through the lottery or auction, a deposit of $1000.00 is required with the balance due 30 days prior to the hunt. When you are ready to book your hunt, call 207-551-8729 or 207-448-2743 or email us from our register/contacts webpage.
Having your moose mounted? We can recommend options where you can drop off your rack and cape.
2019 Maine Moose Auction
The state of Maine auctions off 10 permits in February to the highest bidder with the proceeds benefiting Maine kids going to conservation camp. The winning bids for 2019 went from $18000.00 to $22,000.00 and that is just for the permit! The deadline for applying on line was February 14th.
Photos of Moose hunts Dave has personally guided through his own outfitting business and some while guiding for Smoldering Lake Outfitters.