2020 Moose Hunts, Guaranteed Tags
(update 3-27-20) We have one guaranteed hunt available for immediate purchase. Expect opportunities on bulls 40″-50″ with bulls going 55″ and higher. This peak rut moose hunt is in prime northern Maine Wildlife Management District 2. This early season is best for taking a moose with a bow but you can use a rifle, muzzle loader or cross bow. We have a 95% success rate on bull moose hunts. When driving to camp and bringing several large coolers, it makes it very easy to go home with all your meat. We’re working for lodges that have these bull moose permits. Cost for this very limited hunt (56 statewide) is $15,000.00 with hunt dates of September 28- October 3rd. Additional costs include moose permit $1500.00, big game license $115.00 for non residents and having your moose butchered.
Dave Conley, full time guide and outfitter, offers guided moose hunts in Maine’s Wildlife Management Districts (WMD) 1,2, 4 & 5. These WMDs have the largest population of moose in Maine. The September and October moose hunting seasons coincide with the rut, September being peak rut. Much like turkey and elk, moose can be very susceptible to calling. What a thrill to interact with a trophy bull moose as it responds to the call
A Look Back at Our September 2019 Hunt
It was a challenging week with warms temps, wind and rain a good part of the week. Andrew guided Tom and Richard of New York on this successful bow hunt calling this bull to within 20′. Check out the bow mounted Go Pro video on Richard’s hunt!
2020 Moose Hunting Rates for Lottery Winners (June)
$4995.00, this is a great value on a big game hunt and includes:
- Hunter and sub-permittee (2 hunters, one moose)
- Meals, guide and accommodations
- Transportation while on your hunt
- Quartering and retrieval of moose
- Caping of your moose for a European or shoulder mount.
Note: We are fully insured and licensed with the North Maine Woods to conduct guiding activities in the North Maine Woods.
Additional Costs for Lottery Winners
- Hunting License & Moose permit, non-resident big game license $115.00, moose permit $585.00, Maine residence license $26.00, moose permit $52.00.
- Extra persons (apart from you and your sub-permittee) is $700.00 per person for meals & accommodations.
- Private Land Access Fees collected at the gate as you enter the North Maine Woods.
- Transportation, you can drive right to camp. For those that are flying into Presque isle, we recommend staying overnight at the Hampton Inn before and after your hunt. Depending on the distance to camp, there is a fee for your guide to come pick you up and return you after your hunt. The ride to camp is over mostly good dirt roads.
- Having you moose butchered locally? We have a local guy that does a great job cutting and packaging meat. Turnaround time is 48-72 hours. He charges approximately $500 to cut up a moose.
- Gratuities for the camp cooks and guide at hunter’s discretion
Maine has one of the highest, if not the highest success rate for a big game hunt anywhere! Nonresidents typically enjoy an even higher success rate over residents attributed to the fact most hire the services of a Maine guide. Dave has personally guided over 30 moose hunts with a 95% success rate.
What to Expect
Our preferred method is calling, spot n stalk. Our guides know how to read sign, locate and call moose. With the ability to quarter and pack out moose, we’re able to get on foot to spot n stalk, placing you in Maine’s best moose country. Expect opportunities to harvest a bull with rack widths middle 40″s to middle 50″s, bulls with wider racks are possible. We encourage hunters to pass on smaller bulls waiting for an opportunity on a bigger bull. Why not visit Trip Advisor and read what past canoe guests and moose hunters have to say about their experience with Dave Conley and Canoe the Wild.
Hunt from Comfortable Remote Moose Hunting Camps
While many hunters drive more than an hour one way each day just to get to their hunting grounds, our camps are located in the heart of prime moose hunting country well away from any towns. Camps include top-notch accommodations, the main shelter serves as a community area for meals. Private sleep tents for your party of 1-3 persons are spacious 12′ x 12′ Cabela’s Alaknak Ultimate Outfitter tents complete with cots, carpet flooring and a wood stove.
For those with physical limitations, we hunt close to dirt roads or shorten the distance we travel on foot. We’ll adapt your hunt based on your physical abilities and desires.
2020 Maine Moose Hunting Seasons
- September 28-October 3
- October 12-17
The 2020 Maine Moose Lottery
If you desire to hunt with us, you must first obtain a permit. The most common way is through a lottery system. When filling out your moose lottery application, please choose WMD 1,2,4,5,3,6 & 11 in that order. Choose September and October seasons, bull only if you do not want to hunt an antler-less moose. If you desire to bow hunt for a bull moose, choose only the September season as it is the best season for calling a moose in close. Deadline for applying is May with the drawing taking place the 2nd Saturday of June. (more info)
2020 Maine Moose Auction
The state of Maine auctions off 10 permits in February to the highest bidder with the proceeds benefiting Maine kids going to conservation camp. The winning bids for 2019 went from $18000.00 to $22,000.00 and that is just for the permit! The deadline for applying on line in 2020 is February.
Photos of Canoe the Wild moose hunts.