Dave Conley, full time guide and outfitter, offers guided moose hunts in Maine’s Wildlife Management Districts (WMD) 1,2, 4, 5 . These WMDs have the largest population of moose in Maine. The September and October moose hunting seasons coincide with the rut, September being peak rut. Much like turkey and elk, moose can be very susceptible to calling. What a thrill to interact with a trophy bull moose as it responds to the call.
The 2021 Maine Moose Lottery
If you’re the winner of a 2021 Maine moose permit, contact us to book your hunt today! If you would like more information on a guaranteed lodge tag hunt for the 2022 season, scroll down for more information.
- Dave Conley call 207-448-2743 or call/text 207-551-8729 or
- Andrew Gibbs 207-323-9713
Cost for lottery hunts: $4995.00, this is a great value on a big game hunt and includes:
- Comfortable remote wall tent hunt in WMD 1,2,4 & 5
- Avoid parades of truck at the NMWs gates
- Hunter and sub-permittee (2 hunters, one moose)
- Meals, guide and accommodations
- Transportation while on your hunt
- Quartering and retrieval of moose
- Caping of your moose for a European or shoulder mount.
Note: We are fully insured and licensed with the North Maine Woods to conduct guiding activities in the North Maine Woods.
Additional Costs for Lottery Winners
- Hunting License & Moose permit, non-resident big game license $115.00, moose permit $585.00, Maine residence license $26.00, moose permit $52.00.
- Extra persons (apart from you and your sub-permittee) is $700.00 per person for meals & accommodations.
- Private Land Access Fees collected at the gate as you enter the North Maine Woods.
- Transportation, you can drive right to camp. For those that are flying into Presque isle, we recommend staying overnight at the Hampton Inn before and after your hunt. Depending on the distance to camp, there is a fee for your guide to come pick you up and return you after your hunt. The ride to camp is over mostly good dirt roads.
- Having you moose butchered locally? We have a local guy that does a great job cutting and packaging meat. Turnaround time is 48-72 hours. He charges approximately $500 to cut up a moose.
- Gratuities for the camp cooks and guide at hunter’s discretion
For several years we’ve been teaming up with Andrew Gibbs of Marsh River Outfitters to provide you with the highest quality hunt. Andrew is a very passionate, experienced and knowledgeable moose hunting guide! Check out the video of his successful bow kill below!
We’re Passionate About Moose Hunting!
Check out Dave and Eric’s 2020 moose hunt in remote Alaska!
Hunt from Comfortable Remote Moose Hunting Camps
While many hunters drive more than an hour one way each day just to get to their hunting grounds, our camps are located in the heart of prime moose hunting country well away from any towns. Camps include top-notch accommodations, the main shelter serves as a community area for meals. Private sleep tents for your party of 1-3 persons are spacious 12′ x 12′ Cabela’s Alaknak Ultimate Outfitter tents complete with cots, carpet flooring and a wood stove.
Maine has one of the highest, if not the highest success rate for a big game hunt anywhere! Nonresidents typically enjoy an even higher success rate over residents attributed to the fact most hire the services of a Maine guide. Dave has personally guided over 30 moose hunts with a 97% success rate.
What to Expect
In the 40 year history of the Maine moose hunt, early on when clear cuts were much more prevalent, it was much easier to ride the roads and spot a moose. While some moose are still harvested this way and many do ride the roads hoping to bump into one. With the change in cutting practices (fewer clear cuts) and bigger bulls being over called and adapting for survival’s sake, tend to shy away from these areas and hang further back. Our preferred method is calling and spot n stalk which makes for a much better experience. Our guides know how to read sign, locate and call bulls. With the ability to quarter and pack out, we’re able to get on foot placing you in Maine’s best moose country. Expect opportunities to harvest a bull with rack widths 40″s-50″s, with bulls going 55″ and wider are possible. We encourage hunters to pass on smaller bulls waiting for an opportunity on a bigger bull. Why not visit Trip Advisor and read what past canoe guests and moose hunters have to say about their experience with Dave Conley and Canoe the Wild.
For those with physical limitations, we hunt close to dirt roads or shorten the distance we travel on foot. We’ll adapt your hunt based on your physical abilities and desires.
2021 Maine Moose Hunting Seasons
- September 27- October 2
- October 11-16
2022 Guaranteed Tags
Guaranteed peak rut hunts available for late September. We’re working for lodges that receive permits through a special drawing in January. Moose hunts take place in prime northern Maine Wildlife Management Districts. This early season is best for taking a moose with a bow but you can use a rifle, muzzle loader or cross bow. Expect opportunities on bulls 40″-50″ with bulls going 55″ and higher. We have a 97% success rate on guided bull moose hunts. When driving to camp and bringing several large coolers, it makes it very easy to go home with all your meat.
NOTE: Guaranteed tag hunts are sold out for 2021.
Cost for these very limited lodge tag hunts in 2022 are $16,995.00 which includes the cost of the permit ($1500). Additional Costs include big game license $115.00 for non residents, and having your moose butchered. To get on the waiting list for 2022 & 2023, contact Dave for more information
2021 Maine Moose Auction
The state of Maine auctions off 10 permits in February to the highest bidders with proceeds benefiting Maine kids going to conservation camp. The winning bids for 2020 went from $22,003.00 to $23,005.00, the deadline for applying on line is February. Contact Dave for more info.
Photos of Canoe the Wild moose hunts.