One of Eastern Canada’s finest rivers with lots and lots of lively and class I-II whitewater with no portages and only a few linings. There are several class III ledge drops that can be lined or paddled. The Bonaventure starts out as a swift moving mountain stream with many sharp turns growing in size as we descend through a valley of Black Spruce.
Video of in the Gorge, 2019 Bonaventure River Canoe Trip
The Bonaventure is a great choice for groups & individuals with good paddling skills. The views of the surrounding hills are spectacular. Trip is 7 days and we paddle 80 miles. Typically not a physically demanding trip unless the water is on the high side. Note: In the case of very high water, we offer paddling the lower Bonaventure then shift over and paddle the Cascapedia River.
- Day 1: We meet up in Houlton, Maine for the 6 hour drive to the town of Bonaventure, where we tent overnight in a local campground.
- Day 2: We meet our shuttle drivers for breakfast, then head into the headwaters of the Bonaventure in the Chic Choc Mountains. On this day, we only paddle a short distance and set up camp.
- Days 2-4: The Bonaventure starts out as a swift moving mountain stream with many sharp turns, growing in size as we descend through a valley of Black Spruce. The views of the surrounding hills are spectacular.
- Day 5: We are in the gorge with several ledge drops and numerous class II rapids.
- Days 6-7: The river is much wider, and we paddle over many beautiful salmon pools on our way to the Bay of Chaleur.
- Day 8: We take out mid-morning, grab a quick shower, hit the road, arriving back in the Houlton area early evening.
Outfitted and guided: We provide all meals while on the river, overnighting a campground in Bonaventure prior to the trip, transportation to the headwaters of the Bonaventure, all canoeing and camping equipment necessary to make your trip comfortable and safe, first aid kit, and for peace of mind, a Satellite phone and Garmin IN Reach satellite two-way communicator. For those who prefer to bring some of their own equipment, please be sure to indicate what you will be bringing on the trip application. For those that desire to bring their own canoe, please contact Dave to discuss.
Register For This Trip: Online Trip Application
Photos of Past Trips
- Pictures o this trip, June 17-24, 2019
- Pictures of this Trip, June 9-16, 2019
- Video of Trip #2 in 2018
- Pictures of this June, 2018 trip
- Vance Gustin Blog Post, 2017
- Bonaventure Trip Pictures, 2017
- Bonaventure Trip on Facebook, June 2016
- Bonaventure Word Blog Pictures, June 2016
- Bonaventure-Cascapedia Trip #2 on Facebook, June 2016
- Bonaventure-Cascapedia Trip #2 Blog Pictures, June 2016
- Student Bonaventure Canoe Trip
- Adult Bonaventure River Canoe Trip