Downeast whitewater canoeing
With the feel of a northern river, this scenic and wild waterway is downeast whitewater canoeing and camping at its finest. The Machias River is less traveled than the Allagash, Penobscot, and Saint John Rivers, and easier to access. The headwaters offer a series of scenic lakes and marshes, while the river offers numerous class I-II rapids and several technical class III rapids that can be lined or portage.
Run early May to early June and be sure to check for appropriate water levels prior to going.
Duration: 3 to 6 days
A typical 5 day trip itinerary (50 or 60 miles)
- Day 1: Meet at Airline Rapids on route 9, ride into the Stud Mill Road, launch at 5th Machias, camp on 4th Machias
- Day 2: Camp on 2nd Machias Lake
- Day 3: Camp at Airline Rapids or Little Falls
- Day 4: Camp at Upper Holmes Falls
- Day 5: Takeout at Upper Holmes Falls or Smith Landing
$250.00 per person/per day, fully outfitted and guided
Listed prices are for a minimum group size of 6 with a 3 day minimum trip.
Teens come at 10% off when at least four pay full price.